Friday, March 6, 2009

It works!

You know that trick of putting your paint brushes in the freezer when you're done painting if you don't have time to wash it out right away, or if you are going to pick up again with the same color at a later date?

Well I have a story: On Christmas Eve we were DESPERATE to have the nurserypainted before our company came so that everyone would have a place to sleep. So, we painted allll day finishing just in time for me to hop in the shower before Midnight Mass (we're talking Midnight Mass AT Midnight). That of course left no time for paint brush washing and so I wrapped the brushes in plastic wrap and stuck them in the freezer.

I am a little embarrassed to admit that it was not till TODAY that I pulled said brushes OUT of the freezer to find out how they had fared. But I was excited to find that they thawed and washed up perfectly. Except the one that was dried out when I put it in there. I guess that was wishful thinking.

Now I wish I had taken pictures for you.

4 comments:

Leila said...

See -- procrastination is how you find out the REALLY efficient way to do things!

I'm a big proponent of wrapping brushes (without freezing them for the short term) rather than washing. It's wasteful of paint to wash, and the brushes often dry out anyway if you are not SUPER thorough!

Suki said...

I hate cleaning out brushes so much. This freezer thing sounds wonderful, but I'm holding out for a way to get out of it completely. Like, a freezer that magically cleans them for you? Or just loses them so that, whoops, I've gotta get new ones!

Ok, so my ideas aren't that great. It's a work in progress.

Anne R Triolo said...

Oh, I hate washing them too! As you may have guessed since it took me over two months to find the time!

I sometimes think about disposable brushes...maybe the foam kind. But really a good brush is sooo much better.

I have decided that the roller pads are disposable though. I get the cheap ones and throw them away after each use. When I was growing up my dad made me wash them. I consider this one of the perks of being a grown up. My house, my roller pad, I'm throwing it away!

M. Alexander said...

While I'm washing my brushes out with running water I keep thinking of people in Africa who have no clean water to drink and here I am polluting good drinking water. I don't know why I do this to myself. If we could only find a way to clean paint brushes without using any water I would be completely at ease.